The Economics of Contracts Theories and Applications
A contract is an agreement under which two parties make reciprocal commitments in terms of their behavior to coordinate. This concept has become essential to economics in the last 30 years. Three main theoretical frameworks arose: incentive theory, incomplete-contract theory and transaction-costs theory. These frameworks have enabled scholars to renew the microeconomics of coordination, and yielded implications for many fields of application : industrial organization, labor economic, law and economics, organization design, etc. Beyond these perspective the macroeconomics of market (decentralized) economies and of the institutional framework were renewed. Among all these developments resulted in new analyses of firms strategy and State intervention (regulation of public utilities, anti-trust, public procurement, institutional design, liberalization policies, etc.).
Based on contribution by the leading scholars in the field, this book provides an overview of the past and recent developments in these analytical currents, presents their various aspects, and propose expanding horizons for the oreticians and practitioners from various disciplines especially : Economics, Law, Management, Political Science, Sociology.
Part I. Introduction:
1 Economics of contracts and renewal of economic analysis Eric Brousseau and Jean -Michel Glachant;
Appendix: Canonical models of three different theories of contract Mhand Fares;
Part II. Contracts, Organizations and Institutions:
2. The new institutional economics Ronald Coase;
3. Contract and economic organization Oliver Williamson;
4. The role of incomplete contracts in self-enforcing relationships Benjamin Klein;
5. Entrepreneurship, transaction costs and the design of contracts Erik G. Furubotn;
Part III. Law and Economics:
6. The contract as economic exchange Jacques Ghestin;
7. Contract theory and theories of contract regulation Alan Schwartz;
8. Economic reasoning and the framing of contract law Victor Goldberg;
9. A transactions costs approach to the analysis of property rights Gary Libecap;
Part IV. Theoretical Developments: Where Do We Stand?:
10. Transaction costs in incentive theory David Martimort and Eric Malin;
11. Norms and the theory of the firm Oliver Hart;
12. Liquidity constraint and the allocation of control rights Philippe Aghion and Patrick Rey;
13. Complexity and contract W. Bentley McLeod;
14. Authority, as flexibility, is the core of labour contracts Olivier Favereau and Bernard Walliser;
15. Positive agency theory: positioning and contribution Gerard Charreaux; Part V. Testing Contract Theories:
16. Econometrics of contracts: an assessment of developments in the empirical literature on contracting Scott Masten and Stéphanie Saussier;
17. Experiments on moral hazard and incentives: reciprocity and surplus sharing Marc Willinger and Claudia Keser;
Part VI. Applied Issues: Contributions to Industrial Organization:
18. Residual claimancy rights and ongoing rents as incentive mechanisms in franchise contracts: complements or substitutes? Francine Lafontaine and Emmanuel Raynaud;
19. The quasi judicial role of large retailers Benito Arrunada;
20. Interconnection agreements: strategic behaviour and property rights Godefroy Dang Nguyen and Thierry Penard;
21. Licensing in the chemical industry Asish Aroroa and Andrea Fosfuri; Part VII. Policy Issues: Anti-trust and Regulation of Public Utilities:
22. Inter-industry agreements and European community competition law Michel Glais;
23. Incentive contracts in utility regulation Matthew Bennett and Catherine Waddams Price;
24. Contractual choice and performance: the case of water supply in France Claude Ménard and Stéphane Saussier;
25. Institutional or structural reform: sequencing strategies for reforming the electricity industry Pablo Spiller and Guy Holburn;
26. Electricity sector restructuring and competition Paul Joskow.
The Economics of Contracts: Theories and Applications
Paperback: 600 pages
Publisher: Cambridge University Press (November 11, 2002)
More Files From This User
Quickbooks® 2010 On Demand - , Laura Madeira
This is the eBook version of the printed book. If the print book includes a CD-ROM, this content is not included within the eBook version.QuickBooks Financial Software has become the preferred accounting software for the small business market. Qu......
Quicken 2006 For Starters: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual - Bonnie Biafore
Intuit's Quicken is one of today's most popular and convenient ways to keep track of personal finances, and Quicken 2006 For Starters: The Missing Manual for Windows is the indispensable guide to using the program to simplify your finances and mak......
Quicken 2009: The Missing Manual - Bonnie Biafore
Quicken is a convenient way to keep track of personal finances, but many people are unaware of Quicken's power and end up using only the basic features. Sometimes Quicken raises more questions than it answers: Return of capital from stock? Net wor......
Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2007 - , Woody Leonard
Special Edition Using Microsoft® Office 2007 THE ONLY OFFICE BOOK YOU NEED We crafted this book to grow with you, providing the reference material you need as you move toward Office proficiency and use of more advanced features. If you buy......
Quickbooks 2013: The Missing Manual: The Official Intuit Guide To Quickbooks 2013 - Bonnie Biafore
The Official Intuit Guide to QuickBooks 2013 for WindowsYour bookkeeping workflow will be smoother and faster with QuickBooks 2013 for Windows, and as the program's Official Guide, this Missing Manual puts you firmly in control. You get step-by-st......
Intuit Quickbooks Enterprise Edition 12.0 Cookbook For Experts - Campbell Jaime
QuickBooks Enterprise Edition 12.0 Cookbook for Experts is written in a non-sequential, modular way which enables the reader to select any relevant and valuable technique and learn it. Each recipe in the cookbook includes illustrations to make the......
Running Quickbooks® 2013 Premier Editions: The Only Definitive Guide To The Premier Editions - , Tom Barich
Filled with detailed, easy-to-follow instructions, this guide shows users how to unleash the full power of QuickBooks Premier Editions. With tips, tricks, shortcuts, and work-arounds for special situations, this book ensures that all users get eve......
Quickbooks® Tips & Tricks: The Best Of Cpa911.com: Frequently Asked Reader Questions
The only guide that provides solutions to everyday problems encountered by actual users, this compilation is the key to smoothly navigating the QuickBooks program. Tips, tricks, work-arounds, and detailed instructions are featured, based on respon......