MP3 Michael Harris - Ego Decimation Profile
- Add To Basket
Instant Download from music, digital version
Musicians use tradebit:|
Learn how to make music
Pick up cool karaoke downloads
Search for sheet music!
10 MP3 Songs
METAL/PUNK: Instrumental Metal, ROCK: Instrumental Rock
Show all album songs: Ego Decimation Profile Songs
Michael Harris is one of the most acclaimed instrumental guitarists going thanks to a number of solo releases over the last 2 decades and his current prog metal band Thought Chamber. His 2006 Lion Music release âOrchestrateâ received scorching reviews from media worldwide, so why has Michael decided to re-release his 1996 work âEgo Decimation Profileâ
First of all, this release is a remixed, re-mastered, and repackaged version. Michael remixed and re-mastered the CD myself. On the remix and remastering Michael states, âEDP originally came out in the 90s, when a drier mix was in vogue, so one of my goals in remixing the record was to get a more ambient sound overall, (especially on the lead guitars and drums). My goals were also to get a better drum tone, to get a ârounderâ sound overall, and to use the stereo field a bit more with things like stereo delays and panningâ.
Stylistically, âEDPâ is a combination of metal, prog, funk, groove, and jazz fusion and is considered Harrisâ heaviest instrumental disc to date, as there is a running âmetalâ influence in all of the songs, although it does contain 3 of Michaelâs personal favourite slower numbers in âGrandscapeâ, âPawn to King IVâ, and âTerminus Epicâ. Melody and composition was Michaelâs primary focus on the CD. As progressive as it gets at times, Harris tried to never go too over the top with flashy solos or intricate parts. The album was also an open invitation to great musicianship from the other players and to achieve that many of the tracks were purposely composed with sections that had trade-offs.
On Michaelâs aim with the album he states, âIt was to blend rock, prog, jazz fusion, groove, funk, and neo classical all with melody and lots of guitar. Other than the opening piece, âForewarningâ, there are not a lot of keyboards on the record. My goal on any of my instrumental records is that the compositions are strong, the melodies are original and memorable, and that Iâm not just showing how many notes I can play on guitarâ.
MICHAEL'S TRACK BY TRACK ANALYSIS
01) Forewarning â âForewarningâ was a compositional turning point for me. I envisioned composing a very heavy, progressive, and orchestrated piece, which I achieved with âFWâ, and I consider it my first âmini-symphonyâ. Rob Stankiewicz played a great drum track and I played all the other instruments. For this remixed version, I actually re-recorded the steel string acoustic guitar intro with a nylon string. This was the only part on the whole record that I re-recorded.
02) Vicious Uppercut â Being heavy and fast with progressive touches, âViciousâ felt like a good follow up to âForewarningâ and set the tone for the disc.
03) Stratus-Fear â The theme to this piece was the chorus, which was based on a G#-E riff that Iâd had sitting around for awhile which really blossomed when I thought of the melody on top of it. Then I wrote the progressive middle section which has a triplet feel.
04) Julius Seizure â Even before âDefense Mechanizmsâ, Iâd had a vision of fusing metal with jazz (my father being a jazz musician), and âJuliusâ really typified what I was trying to achieve. I also wanted to include a clean jazz break in a heavy tune, and patiently waited for the right inspiration for such a break to be included in this piece. Keith Carlock just smoked on this one. Although at the time he was relatively unknown, Iâd recruited him based on his great reputation. As amazing as he was even back then, I donât think anyone could have predicted the success his future would bring. He eventually moved to NY and has since played with John Scofield, Steely Dan, and Sting.
05) Pawn to King IV â Based on counterpoint-esque and classical-esque melodies achieved with all volume swells, I havenât done a piece like this before or since. Iâd had a demo stashed away for quite some time, so I refined it a bit, and it ended up being a nice dynamic for the record.
06) Grandscape â This sounded very soundtrack-esque â the melodies, feel, and lead guitar tone were most important to me. Itâs relatively simple and one of my favourites on the record.
07) Hair On the E String â This title is a take off of Bachâs âAir On the G Stringâ. The song is not neo-classical however, but metal-esque with a main theme that is in lydian mode and a progressive midsection with great drumming from Rob.
08) Freudian Trip â Iâve enjoyed playing funk for years, and Iâd consider âFreudianâ to be a metal funk tune. Keith and David were right at home on this one and it was just plain fun.
9) Brainwarp: The heaviest tune on the record. I knew it would be perfect for Matt Thompson on drums. My middle solo starts with one of my favourite and most insane licks.
10) Terminus Epic: Definitely one of my faves on the record. I spent a lot of time arranging it. For quite awhile, I had wanted to compose a rapid solo or break that was all natural harmonics, which I did in this midsection, kind of a âsong within a songâ.
in partnership with CDbaby
More Files From This User
- MP3 The Miasmics - Lets Go Get em!
- MP3 The Miasmics - You Just Gotta Trust It
- MP3 The Mice - Volume 1
- MP3 Michael Douce - Christmas
- MP3 MIC MARLOW - The MIC MARLOW Album
Mp3 Tomohiro Nishimura - Metal/punk: Instrumental Metal
Instrumental Metal, Shred Metal Guitar 6 MP3 Songs METAL/PUNK: Instrumental Metal, METAL/PUNK: Power Metal Show all album songs: Tomohiro Nishimura Songs ......
Mp3 Bruce Bouillet - Interventions
Hands down some of the best instrumental guitar shred out today. 10 MP3 Songs in this album (46:29) ! Related styles: ROCK: Instrumental Rock, METAL/PUNK: I......
Mp3 V/a - Warmth In The Wilderness Vol Ii - A Tribute To Jason Becker
second volume of the Jason Becker Tribute from Lion Music 27 MP3 Songs METAL/PUNK: Neo-Classical Metal, METAL/PUNK: Instrumental Metal Details: Jason Bec......
Mp3 Rick B. - Second Changes
instrumental guitar driven rock with emphasis on songwriting. 10 MP3 Songs in this album (42:58) ! Related styles: ROCK: Hard Rock, METAL/PUNK: Instrumental......