MP3 Linda Titolo - In My Own Way
- Add To Basket
Instant Download from music, digital version
Musicians use tradebit:|
Learn how to make music
Pick up cool karaoke downloads
Search for sheet music!
11 MP3 Songs in this album (35:00) !
Related styles: FOLK: Folk Pop, FOLK: Progressive Folk
People who are interested in Patty Larkin Judy Collins Patty Griffin should consider this download.
ââ¦the ocean sounds on âSentinelâ are so effective at making you feel like you are really seeing her there on the cliff and sharing her grief... the songs that had great grooves â âCardboard Habitâ, âEspresso Coming Soonâ â they have these feels that really stand out from the crowd, one being pretty rockin' and the other being island-y, but they blend right in and sit perfectly in the tone of the rest of the CD. That's hard to do! Overall I just want to say Brava! It is wonderful and so very you... your collaboration with John was the perfect choice.â â Kathy Hussey
âYou have a fabulous albumâ â Rick Beresford
Originally a native of Bayside, New York, Linda draws artistic inspiration from the many places sheâs lived, from the great lakes snow country of Buffalo, New York to the gulf beaches of St. Petersburg, Florida. She lived a good portion of her life in Virginia, first in Blacksburg where she met her husband, Roger Cornell and later in Arlington and the Washington, DC area where she and Roger performed as a duo presenting Celtic, world and progressive folk music on Celtic harp, hammer dulcimer, and guitar.
Eventually their musical interests turned to songwriting which led them to Nashville in 2002. Theyâve found inspiration and mutual support in the diverse songwriting culture of Nashville, and for three years hosted a writersâ night in the round once a month in their home. It was their way to give back to the community by providing an opportunity for indie artists to present their music to their peers.
Now Linda has recorded her first solo album of original songs crafted with the meticulous care that she brings to everything she does. âI love to imagine really complex characters and then write the song from their perspective, or in a certain sense let them write the songâ, Linda says. âOften a character will come to life for me when I can identify their blind spots. That also tells me the fables they want to believe about themselves and how far they can grow in the space of a two and a half to four minute song.â
Linda paints vivid portraits, giving voice to the person living through the Irish famine accepting their choice to stay and remain Irish, the Civil War soldier facing his brother across the field of battle, the beekeeper at peace with the friendship of his bees, and the bait shop owners who aspire to more. And underneath it all is her own strong voice always shedding light on the truth, with humor and compassion for how we get in our own way.
1. Close Enough â my love song to Roger, my husband, co-writer and loving companion of many years, with gratitude.
2. In My Own Way â facing aging graciously, honoring our own path, intertwining with another while not losing ourselves, and chuckling at the things we do that get in our own way.
3. Sentinel â around 1850, during the Irish famine, whole families would come over to America, sometimes leaving one person behind to hold onto the lease on the land, so that if it didnât work out in the new country they could go back. I wrote this song from the perspective of the one who stayed behind. The ocean, the seagulls, and John Mockâs spare and mournful whistle transports you there entirely in the moment.
4. Save It For A Rainy Day â modern life, too little time. When is that rainy day going to come?
5. Cardboard Habit â a funny blues song about hording storage containers, an addiction more common than you might think judging by the number of people who have âconfessedâ to me after my shows.
6. Bees Are His Friends â is this a song about a beekeeper who prefers the company of bees to humans, or do we all befriend bees despite the occasional sting. I certainly know a few.
7. Too Good At Letting Go â sometimes we give up at the first sign of trouble, sometimes we hang on too long. Wisdom would say every relationship is unique and deserves a fresh chance, but we are sensitive creatures with long memories and sometimes weâre too quick to preempt potential pain.
8. Ashes, Ashes, All Fall Down â a haunting tale about two brothers during the Civil War, one who fought for the north and one who fought for the south. John Mockâs use of harmonium, drums and tin whistle wrings all the emotion out of this song and takes it to another realm.
9. Espresso Coming Soon â a song inspired by a trip to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington state, and the sight of a run down bait and tackle shop in the middle of nowhere with a huge banner on the lawn in front of it that said âEspresso Coming Soonâ. Even those of us in the humblest of circumstances aspire to greatness.
10. Wash ânâ Wear Heart â exploring the nature of the vulnerable heart using laundry metaphors and a healthy dose of puns.
11. Iâll Be With You When You Go â with love and compassion for the complex characters in our lives who mirror back at us the parts of ourselves weâd rather not see, for aging parents whose lives are winding down, for their children facing the long trip after getting âthe callâ and wondering if theyâll make it in time, for all those whoâve come up to me after my shows and said âThank you for telling it like it really isâ.
Produced and arranged by
Linda Titolo and John Mock
Recorded, mixed and mastered by John Mock
at John Mock Studios, Nashville, TN
Art design and cover photos by John Mock
with additional photography by Linda Titolo and others
All songs written by Linda Titolo except âCardboard Habitâ, âSave It For A Rainy Dayâ, âWash ânâ Wear Heartâ, and âEspresso Coming Soonâ written by Linda Titolo and Roger Cornell.
Linda Titolo: vocals, steel string guitar
Roger Cornell: vocals
John Mock: steel string, electric and classical guitars, bouzouki, mandolin, harmonium, concertina, synth strings, pennywhistle, recorder, bodhran, conga, shakers, guiro (fish)
Special Thanks to John Mock, studio engineer, photographer, and musician extraordinaire. This album wouldnât exist without you.
in partnership with CDbaby
More Files From This User
- MP3 Linda Smith - Music That Touches the Heartstrings
- MP3 LionSong - Never Impossible
- MP3 Linq - Life Goes On
- MP3 Libby Koch - Redemption
- MP3 Jase Lindgren - Its Not Too Late
Mp3 Eric Underwood & Eladia - Down From The Treehouse
Ambient, dreamy, new age, folk pop with "some of the moodiest, most versatile cello you''ll hear." "Brooding, dark, and utterly gorgeous."-Performing Songwri......
Mp3 The Haggs - Pop: 60's Pop
Guitar driven 60''s pop with catchy melodies and tight vocal harmonies. Beatles & Beach Boys fans will enjoy. 14 MP3 Songs POP: 60''s Pop, FOLK: Folk Pop ......
Mp3 Tom Chelston - Brick
American folk and rock music 10 MP3 Songs FOLK: Political, FOLK: Folk Pop Details: I was born and raised in New Jersey and listened to all kinds of music......
Mp3 Northern Quarter - One Of These Songs Is About You
Delicate acoustic music, honest thought provoking lyrics and georgeous vocal harmonies from the complementary vocal styles of singers Gerry and Vicky. 11 MP......