Like us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/tradebits

Follow us on Google+:
Tradebit on Google+

Uploading copyrighted stuff

Posted by puzzler 
Uploading copyrighted stuff
June 08, 2005 04:17AM
Again and again people use the free packages to upload copyrighted stuff to tradebit. We regularly (at least 2 times a day) control the latest uploads and if we find commercial MP3s or adult pictures, we delete it!

If you have commercial songs or films to sell, please be ready to proof that you have the right to do so!

Cheers,
Puzzler
Re: Uploading copyrighted stuff
June 17, 2005 06:30AM
do you use an online virus scanner for the files? i would imagine, that this would take some cpu power away?

bernd
June 18, 2005 06:12AM
hi bernd,

i do different levels of scanning... for the paying users the system is quite open, because we have their full and confirmed personal information. I doubt they will upload viruses... for the free accounts we restricted the file types...

cheers,
puzzler
August 05, 2007 12:43AM
I'll quickly go over copyrights, since that's what I sell.

There are more copyrights, licenses than you can shake a stick at. I'm proficient with Books, Music, and other Hard literary things.

Two specific things that are legal are public domain and creative common license.

Public Domain is different in every country it seems. In USA, if you have a hard copy of a publication dated 1922 or earlier, it is in public domain even if the copyright has been renewed, transferred, or otherwise being published under the current publisher. Germany is different, UK is different... Basically look for a copyright on the scanned title page of a file you are viewing. If it's 1922 or before, you can reprint it and sell it. That's PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Creative commons license means that you can share, modify, etc, etc, SELL, etc. There are two types: NON-COMMERCIAL will plainly state it on the document, most of which are .pdf formats. NC (Non-Commercial) cannot be resold. All creative commons MUST HAVE the original copyrights and credits on the file. Do not modify it.

Project Gutenberg has a strange license, if you remove all instances of the license (included before and after the ebook) you may resell or modify it. Some of the later licenses require a royalty payment.

Generally if you have old records, you can't just record them and sell them. In the USA there are NO phonorecords in the public domain. However, you can REARRANGE and perform copyrighted songs if you file a LETTER OF INTENT to the copyright holder. You then send them USD$.09 for each one you sell. CDBaby, a partner of this site, has a wonderful article on this.

Generally licensing is determined by the copyrightholder. Two rules of thumb: Just because it LOOKS old, doesn't mean it is, and If you DON'T KNOW about the licensing, DON'T MESS WITH IT.

Paul

Joke of the Day:

Hey Ralf! Let me upload my CD collection and sell them...PLEASE!!!
August 05, 2007 12:45AM
Couple of tidbits to be aware of...

EMI partnering with YOUTUBE.....Good grief....

LaLa is offering FREE MUSIC?????..........LICENSED TO GIVE AWAY....

Read the news folks. This affects many people here.

Paul
August 05, 2007 06:52AM
I would love to resell EMI tracks - free of DRM, but they do not talk to everybody. I think we might be too small for them. No venture funding, just profits... smiling smiley

ralf
September 09, 2007 03:44PM
puzzler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Again and again people use the free packages to
> upload copyrighted stuff to tradebit. We regularly
> (at least 2 times a day) control the latest
> uploads and if we find commercial MP3s or adult
> pictures, we delete it!
>
> If you have commercial songs or films to sell,
> please be ready to proof that you have the right
> to do so!
>
> Cheers,
> Puzzler

Yes, listen....I have a book for sale on this site, (I assume you got it from the place I originally uploaded it too,) and I notice that YOUR handle is right beside it in a little box saying "Chat with me". This would lead someone to think that YOU'RE the author, am I correct? Could you do something about this?

DecentAuthor
September 10, 2007 12:56PM
hi, if my handle is next to it, it is probably one of the Mobipocket.com books we are reselling? They are the biggest hub for book downloads for many publishers... could it be, that we have the legal right to resell that ;-) ?

If you still think, this is a problem, please email me the file URL to tickets[at]tradebit[dot]com

ralf
Anonymous User
August 18, 2009 06:51PM
Hello,
I am a new user on tradebit. I am concerned about the files that i upload. I am a music artist and i am concerned about the copyright protection of my songs. Can anybody steal my music. Do I got the copyright of my Compositions by uploading to this site? Plz help.

HarryDK
November 28, 2009 01:57AM
hi admin

i am very new here, and i still confused about the rules here
should i upload my resell right with my file if i want to sell product here

thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login