MP3 Musique Sans Frontieres, Vol. I - WORLD: World Fusion
This file is no longer available on Tradebit.
5 MP3 Songs
WORLD: World Fusion, WORLD: World Traditions
1. âZitoune,â written and arranged by Patrick Derivaz with Bassam Saba, 2002.
2. âLes Yeux Noirsâ (âDark Eyesâ), arranged by Patrick Derivaz with G.E. Smith, 2003.
3. âMy Dearest Country,â arranged by Rubin Kodheli with Justina-Marie, 2004.
4. âSailorâs Return,â arranged by Patrick Derivaz with Gregory Greene, 2004.
5. âLemonopoulos,â arranged by Patrick Derivaz with Avram Pengas, 2005.
1. "Zitoune" is an original French composition by Patrick Derivaz, based on the Arabic word for olive (related to olive branch, i.e., symbol of peace) and featuring Lebanese oud soloist Bassam Saba. It was performed on Musicians For Harmonyâs first âConcert for Peaceâ in September 2002.
2. "Les Yeux Noirs,â also known as âDark Eyes,â is a traditional Russian tune featuring guitar soloist G.E. Smith of the "Saturday Night Live" band. It was performed on Musicians For Harmonyâs second âConcert for Peaceâ in September 2003.
3. "My Dearest Country" is an old Albanian folk song describing the invasion of the Turks five centuries earlier and performed by Albanian singer Justina-Marie. It was performed on Musicians For Harmonyâs third âConcert for Peaceâ in September 2004.
4. "Sailor's Return" is an Irish tune arranged by Patrick Derivaz and featuring Irish accordion player Gregory Greene. It was performed on Musicians For Harmonyâs third âConcert for Peaceâ in September 2004.
5. "Lemonopoulos" is a traditional Greek song arranged and performed by Greek-Israeli bouzouki player Avram Pengas. It was performed on Musicians For Harmonyâs fourth âConcert for Peaceâ in September 2005.
Musicians For Harmony, Inc. is a non-profit organization that was formed in the wake of the attacks on September 11, 2001. Founded by Allegra Klein, its mission is to commemorate those who died that day, bring comfort to those still with us, and encourage peace among nations and individuals.
Music is the universal language which crosses national, religious and ethnic barriersâa symbol of the unity of disparate voices, coming together with beautiful and harmonious results. Musicians For Harmonyâs annual âConcerts for Peaceâ represent the collaboration of dozens of musicians and other individuals from around the world. For more information or to make a donation, please call 212-996-8010 or visit our website at https://www.tradebit.com.
âMusique Sans Frontièresâ (âMusic Without Bordersâ) is a multicultural ensemble of musicians who came together in response to the tragic events of September 11th to perform for Musicians For Harmony. Organized by Musicians For Harmonyâs Artistic Director Patrick Derivaz, these artists represent a blending of many different backgrounds and cultures who share a desire to foster global harmony through their music-making.
The songs on this recording were performed between 2002 and 2005 on Musicians For Harmonyâs annual âConcerts for Peaceâ at Merkin Concert Hall in New York City. Each represents a different country and a different part of the world and was arranged for a combination of western and non-western instruments. The artists from these concerts reunited in the studio in December 2005 to make this album.
Bass player Patrick Derivaz studied music at the Conservatoire dâAix en Provence in France. He currently lives in New York, where he works as a musician, composer, producer and engineer. Over the years he has been involved in all styles of music, including classical, world, rock and soundtracks, with some of the best musicians in these domains. Mr. Derivaz has been with Musicians For Harmony since its inception and also serves as its Artistic Director.
Accordionist Gregory Grene grew up in both Ireland and the United States, studying accordion from the age of nine. He is the winner of multiple fleadhanna ceoil (traditional Irish music competitions), and is currently a composer, singer and accordionist with the Celtic rock band, The Prodigals. The All Music Guide writes, âGreneâs expertise on accordion and his understanding of Irish music elevates the group as one of the premier Celtic rock bands leading into the 21st century.â
Violinist Colin Jacobsen, recipient of a 2003 Avery Fisher Career Grant, first played to critical acclaim at age fourteen as soloist with the New York Philharmonic under Kurt Masur. He tours regularly with Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble and is a member of Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Centerâs program for young artists, CMS Two. He is also a frequent guest at summer festivals such as Banff, Caramoor, Marlboro, and Salzburg.
Singer Justina-Marie was born in Albania, where she starred on both stage and screen. Her theatrical roles include Polly Peachum in Three-Penny Opera and Regina in The Little Foxes. She was also well known as a popular singer in her native country and was honored with many national prizes. Since immigrating to the U.S. in 1995, Justina-Marie has continued her work as a singer and actress with performances at La Mama Theater and Off-Broadway.
Cellist Rubin Kodheli was born in Albania and started playing cello at age seven. In 1993, he moved to Belgium, where he studied at LâAcademie dâUccle, and then attended the Richard Strauss Konservatorium in Munich. In 2001, he graduated from The Juilliard School and with avant-garde ensembles such as Nurse Kaya and Zooid, a band of six musicians led by international musician/composer Henry Threadgill. He has also collaborated with Wyclef Jean and Jerry "Wonda" Duplessis, members of the Fugees.
Percussionist Benny Koonyevsky is a native of Israel. At age twenty, he joined the Israel Philharmonic under Zubin Mehta and later made his solo début with them. He is a member of the New York Percussion Quartet and received his masterâs degree from the Juilliard School. He has toured with Omar Faruk Tekbilek, the Cuban band âSon De Madre,â and Debbie Friedman and has recorded with Gloria Estefan and Vanessa Williams.
Bouzouki player Avram Pengas was born in Greece. He played lead guitar in the Israeli Air Force Band and has since performed at Lincoln Center and Town Hall. A self-taught virtuoso on the bouzouki, a stringed Greek instrument, he has appeared in concerts and music festivals throughout the United States, as well as Israelâs annual Klezmorim Festival. He can frequently be heard in the clubs of downtown Manhattan.
Originally from Lebanon, ney virtuoso Bassam Saba studied at the Lebanon National Conservatory. He graduated from the Conservatoire Municipal Des Gobelins in Paris and moved to Moscow to complete his Master's Degree on the flute before returning to Beirut, where he worked with composers such as Ziad Rahbani, Marcel Khalife, and Tawfik Farroukh. In 1990, he moved to New York and joined Simon Shaheenâs Near Eastern Music Ensemble.
Percussionist Shane Shanahan has performed around the world with Yo-Yo Ma as a member of the Silk Road Ensemble and is also a member of master frame drummer Glen Velezâ Handance ensemble. He combines his knowledge of hand drumming traditions from around the globe with his training in classical music and jazz to create a unique style, which enables him to perform in a wide range of cross-cultural settings.
Guitarist G.E. Smith led the Saturday Night Live band for from 1985 to 1995. He also served as lead guitar for Hall & Oates for six years, making famous such songs as âPrivate Eyesâ and âMan Eater.â He has collaborated with numerous artists, including Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, David Bowie, Jimmy Buffet, Eric Clapton, Rickie Lee Jones, Lou Reed, Keith Richards, Eddie Van Halen, and Neil Young. While on SNL, he won an Emmy, and his recording with the SNL band was nominated for a Grammy.
Recorded, mixed and mastered by Patrick Derivaz at Absolut Studio and PAD Productions, Brooklyn, NY.
in partnership with CDbaby (ID 1222152)
More Files From This User
- MP3 El Puma De Sinaloa - Me invito la noche
- MP3 Harmonik - Lets Go!
- MP3 Haymaker - In For A Pound
- MP3 Hans Engel - Wunderwelten
- MP3 Hillfolk Noir - Skinny Mammys Revenge
Tradebit is the worlds largest marketplace for digital files, with over 2.5 million satisfied customers and millions of digital products. Online for over 12 years, Tradebit is the best place to find files like music, video tutorials, repair manuals, and more. If you're curious about how much our users love Tradebit, read reviews from real buyers!