MP3 Nicholas McBride - Bandika
a journey from jazz to world music through the eyes of a drummer. fresh original jazz, this cd also features some unique sound-bytes of kenyan music recorded by nicholas whilst studying with master drummer bandika ngao.
14 MP3 Songs
JAZZ: World Fusion, WORLD: World Fusion
This was my first solo cd which i made after a lot of travel and study with several teachers. There are great performances by Sean Wayland, Matt Penman, Tim Hopkins, Brett Hirst, Carl Dewhurst, Deva Permana James Muller and of course Bandika Ngao amongst others. The cd was self financed and I used to distribute it to the shops in Sydney and Canberra myself. The first run of 100 copies (due to financial constraints) was in cdr format was not very reliable and some didn''t work (including Mr. Wayland''s copy) but I''m happy to say that this was since rectified and is now in it''s 3rd pressing (over 2000 sold). It was originally released on Sean Wayland''s Seed label, then re-released in Japan on the DIY label. Thanks to CD Baby it''s available everywhere!
Hope you enjoy - Nicholas McBride, Shanghai August 2006
Whether recorded on a walkman in the Kenyan outback, Sydney pianist Sean Wayland’s “Shed” or in a “real studio”, the centre of Bandika’s attention is the percussion of Nick McBride. His fascination with his craft has taken him all over the world, and that sense of wonderment and curiosity is plainly apparent on this album. Of course the threat to putting together a CD in this fashion – diverse recording environments, three continents, God knows how many players – is a lack of coherency in the document. And maybe the Kenyan moments read more like sweet interludes than crucial components, but all aspects of this CD are connected, even if the real impressive heart of it lies in the fusion oriented moments captured in New York and Sydney. This is rabid modern jazz, with hot playing from the likes of Tim Hopkins and Sam Lipman. Powerful and fun, where to from here, Nick?
Craig N Pearce
Drum Media 3 August 1999
Nicholas McBride “Bandika”
"... 5 stars!"
Sydney Morning Herald
Nicholas moved to Shanghai in 2002 from Sydney where he was based since 1993. He left his hometown of Canberra after completing music studies at the Australian National University. He was initially invited to Sydney to perform with pianists Mike Nock and Sean Wayland. Since leaving Canberra, Nicholas has performed, recorded and toured with some great musicians including: JR, Dale Barlow, Mallika Sarabhai, Andrew Hill, James Muller, O’Donel Levy, Xia Jia, Sam Rivers, Mike Nock, Mark De Clive-Lowe, Rai Thistlethwaite, Lily Dior, Alan Dargin, Phillip Slater, Kim Paterson, Nathan Haines, Epizo Bangourra, Cameron Undy, Ardijah, Steve Hunter, Tim Hopkins, Darren Paul, Sugar Mama, and Alexia Gardener.
* Released JR’s debut CD “What a Wonderful World”. JR is the first Chinese jazz group to release an official CD in China
* 2005 Performed at the Helsinki Jazz Festival, Finland with Lawrence Ku Septet and Xia Jia trio https://www.tradebit.com
* 2005 Performed at the Baoa Economic Forum on Hainan Island, China with JR
* 2005 Formed “JR”, a Shanghai based jazz-pop group with Australian bassist Scott Dodd, Chinese Trumpet player Feng Yu Chen and pianist Zhumang.
* 2005 Resident drummer with Alexia Gardener Quartet at the JC Mandarin Hotel, Shanghai. https://www.tradebit.com
* 2004 Toured South Africa (Capetown Jazz festival, National Arts Festival) with several bands including Rectangle, Mosaic, James Muller Trio and Gerard Masters Trio. See https://www.tradebit.com for tour itinerary.
* 2004 Released second Gerard Masters Trio CD “Island Life” https://www.tradebit.com
* 2002 - 2004 Resident drummer/bandleader at jazz club “CJW” Shanghai, China.
* 2003 Featured artist with the Gerard Masters Trio at the Christchurch Arts Festival, New Zealand. https://www.tradebit.com
* 2001 Released second CD of original compositions “Rectangle” on Jazzgroove Records https://www.tradebit.com
* 2001 Toured European jazz festivals with Bernie McGann Trio (Italy, Finland, Denmark).
* 2001 Released “Palindrome” with Gerard Masters Trio on Jazzgroove Records https://www.tradebit.com
* 2000 - 2003 host and producer for “Polycurrents”, a weekly jazz show on Eastside Radio 89.7fm, Sydney https://www.tradebit.com
* 2000 Toured Taiwan with Dale Barlow and the Wizards of Oz for Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade as part of the Sydney 2000 Olympics promotion https://www.tradebit.com
* 1999 Released critically acclaimed debut CD “Bandika”. The CD was rated “5 stars” by Sydney Morning Herald (Sydney’s leading newspaper).
* 1999 Artist in residence at the Darpana Academy in Ahmedabad, India organised by the Asialink Foundation. As part of this 5-month residency, Nicholas collaborated with choreographer Mallika Sarabhai to create a work called “Artbeat”. This project combined Indian folk musicians and dancers with contemporary jazz and choreography https://www.tradebit.com
* 1998 Toured Asia with Mike Nock Group (Indonesia, Korea, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Vietnam) https://www.tradebit.com
* 1998 Co-founder of Jazzgroove Association, a non-profit organisation dedicated to the promotion of new jazz in Sydney https://www.tradebit.com
* 1997 Received a professional development grant from the Australia Council. Nicholas studied in New York for 3 months with West-African Percussionist Madou Dembele (Herbie Hancock).
* 1997 Toured New Zealand with Mark De Clive-Lowe. Recorded “First Thoughts” with Mark De Clive-Lowe and Cameron Undy https://www.tradebit.com
* 1994 Travelled to Mombassa, Kenya to study traditional Duruma (Kenyan tribe) percussion for 2 months with master musician Bandika Ngao.
* 1993 Completed Diploma in Jazz Studies at Australian National University, Canberra.
* 1972 Born in Canberra, Australia.