MP3 Aaron Priskorn - Venus Loops
Aaron explores many genres of music, delving into an eccentric experimental mix that creates a symphony of emotional and moving trumpet music.
10 MP3 Songs in this album (33:09) !
Related styles: Avant Garde: Classical Avant-Garde, Jazz: Orchestral Jazz, Solo Instrumental
People who are interested in Beirut Youngblood Brass Band should consider this download.
Venus Loops. . . yeah, he loops. grooves come out. feelings emote. at times intense. sometimes light. a look into the sound::
1. Trust 1.15 :: Trust is an experiment on how I could move through a feeling using the trumpet and loop station. I wanted to create something simple, but this piece challenges me to trust my musical instincts with every loop.
2. The Deepest Part 5.18 :: This is one of the first tunes I ever composed and also the most challenging. The rhythm and chords within the loops presented technical challenges that practicing solved, but there was always a challenge in the overall feel of the tune; getting it ‘right’. Once I finished the structure, performing the tune became easy; recording it was the struggle. With this recording, I have finally come up with a mix I am happy with. ‘The Deepest Part’ is that part within all of us where emotions are brutally honest; sometimes scary, but always naturally pleasant to feel through.
3. KZ 2.26 :: This is a tune composed for two great friends’ wedding. I wanted to speak the bride and groom on the trumpet in lieu of words. Finding the right groove was a bit of a challenge, but once I had the loop, I knew it was for them.
4. Shame 4.16 :: Feelings are often the driving force behind my work. This tune was composed when I was realizing the power of shame. I don’t have to stay connected with the actual feeling to perform or promote this tune, but it is the thread that created this piece. Being able to perform through feelings with music has granted me a genuine respect for the challenging feelings in life.
5. Ffantastic 2.44 :: One of the very first tunes I wrote, ‘Ffantastic’ is strictly a layering of multiple loops. This was one of my first attempts at creating a groove using loops. Piecing together a deep texture loop by loop felt utterly fantastic. . . hence the name.
6. Project 3:1 2.47 :: The goal with this piece was to see how long I could keep interest with three notes. While studying improvisation in school, this was an exercise we played around with. The whole piece is comprised of only three different notes; sung and layered in different ways, luckily I have a loop station to play around with as well. I like the textures these three notes created.
7. Tunnels 3.44 :: Tunnels is part of a collaboration with video artist Anthony Riva. We met and talked of working on something, but left it up to what came out in the music to define the end product. ‘Tunnels’ is about the feeling within relationships where the energy exchange is unbalanced. When the energy becomes too off balance there is a unique loneliness that one can feel while actually being in a relationship.
8. Wasteland 4.22 :: The past few years I have been experimenting with singing on the trumpet in new ways. Part of that is using techniques that are unconventional; in this tune, after the first three loops, I sing on the trumpet with my valves halfway down. The beginning loop creates the sound of a haunting lullaby and the texture of the half valves added an even spookier feel, something like how a wasteland would sound to me.
9. Si 3.29 :: Si is comprised of a simple chord structure looped with an unruly improvised melody on top. I wander around through the melody with only one goal: to create tension with resolve to the note ‘si’. (Si is a solfege name for a specific tone).
10. The Undergroove 2.49 :: This is my attempt at creating a more dance/groove piece; something that might make you move. While working out the melody line, the words ‘the undergroove’ sounded to me through the music.
many many thanks for the time in listening to this cd and for reading these words on my music. stay tuned for more. . . . venus.