MP3 Athena Reich - Athena Under Attack
A haunting, evocative and edgy rock opera about 9/11, cycles of violence, and the necessity for peace. Gorgeous piano and vocal arrangements.
10 MP3 Songs
FOLK: Political, ROCK: Acoustic
"Athena Under Attack" is an edgy new rock opera that takes place on 9/11 as Christina, Sam and Athena meet on a rooftop in Queens and witness, in chaos and shock, the events of the day. Wildly opposing psycho-political reactions are juxtaposed as Athena relives childhood trauma and Sam rapes his girlfriend Christina in a fit of post-traumatic patriotic fervor. Athena and Christina are left feeling violently raw and emotionally broken. This innovative new musical explores opposing emotional reactions and demonstrates the necessity for peace.
Athena Reich is an anarcho-feminist cabaret-punk pop star. Her music speaks boldly about issues of violence, sexuality and peace. She combines a chilling 4-octave range voice with gorgeous piano and guitar arrangements. Think Aimee Mann, Diamanda Galas, Ani DiFranco, Laurie Anderson and Tori Amos with a theatrical twist. Athena tours constantly across North America, and has opened for Sarah McLauchlan and Jim Carrey. She is author and star of "Athena Under Attack" (a one-act rock opera about 9/11, cycles of abuse & peace) that has been produced by various theaters and festivals across the continent. Most recently, Athena released her 3rd CD, "Stranger Things Have Happened" which features a full band with quirky string and horn arrangements. She has been featured in the Montreal Gazette, She Magazine, GO NYC, Big Breakfast TV and more. And, she just got a national distribution deal with Goldenrod music! Athena is constantly pushing boundaries, mocking taboo, and spitting truth.
THEATRICAL PRODUCTION HISTORY
* The Producer''s Club II; NY, NY; June 26-30, 2002; Produced by Point of You Productions.
* The Producer''s Club at the Royal Theatre; NY, NY; September 14th, 2002; Produced by Sticks and Stones Productions (Artistic Directors Athena Reich & Terri Muuss)
* Theatre for the New City; NY, NY; September 20th, 2002; Produced as part of the LadyFest East Festival.
* The 14th Street Y Theatre; NY, NY; October 18th, 2002; Produced by Veronica Golos, Artistic Director of Literary Programs
* The Toronto Theatre Fringe Festival; Toronto, Canada; July 2003
* Book, Music and Lyrics by Athena Reich
* Musical Direction, Arrangement, and Piano by Jonah Spidel
* Vocal Performances by Athena Reich, Shara Traub and Brian Gligor
* CD design by Jesse Harold https://www.tradebit.com