MP3 CatPeople - Reel No. 1
Elegant and emotive post-punk, with driving bass lines, catchy melodies, stylish lyrics and a deeply powerful lead vocal that makes the girls swoon and the boys envy.
11 MP3 Songs
ROCK: Modern Rock, POP: New Wave
"CatPeople work vocal melodies like nobody else in Spain. Their music navegates the turbulent waters of post-punk, where the crude energy and aggressiveness of punk unite with the poetic sensibility of new wave’s darker ambience, creating soundscapes of extreme beauty. CatPeople will, without the slightest doubt, be one of the greats."
Janina Canet, director of Go Mag, 2006.
“CatPeople... robust and smooth they know how to maximise singer Adrián Pérez’s already convincing vocals – one of those singers who knows how to use dynamics with style.” Dimas Rodríguez, Rockdelux, January 2006
“CatPeople take up the legacy of Joy Division, The Chameleons or even Interpol with a grace and conviction that suggest great things to come when they release their debut album.” Joan S. Luna, MondoSonoro, November 2005
- Sign to December Producciones Management & Booking Agency, Febrero 2007
- International concerts in Prague and Brno, Febrero 2007
- Radio chosen for inclusion on the compilation album Razzmatazz 3 2006.
- Reel # 1 selected #2 in the Spanish Top 100 Go Mag 2006.
- Reel # 1 selected #9 in the Spanish Top 100 Mondosonoro 2006.
- 20 date tour of Spain autumn 2006
- Radio chosen for inclusion on the compilation album Depo XXI 2006.
- Mexican Life chosen for inclusion on the compilation album Underground II 2006.
- Support Pet Shop Boys in Vigo
- Paredes de Coura Festival 2006 (Portugal), OCA Festival (Tenerife), Proactive Festival (Zamora), Sintonizza Festival (Barcelona) and Mountain Pop (Granada)
- Invited to support Dirty Pretty Things on the Barcelona leg of their European tour.
- Invited to play at Festival Demoscópico 2006 organised by Mondosonoro.
- Voted 2nd best demo 2005 by Mondosonoro (the Spanish NME).
- The only band without a CD release invited to play live on iPOP, Spanish music program on prime time national television.
- Everyone can tell you chosen for inclusion on the compilation album Singles Inéditos released in October 2005 by Rhonda Records.
CatPeople got together in Vigo (Galicia, Spain) after a fortuitous encounter between Adrián Pérez (vocals) and Fito Rodriguez (bass) at the Santi-Rock 2002 Festival. Striking up an immediate connection they began to write their first songs together.
Initially playing songs closer to post-rock they recruited Paco Iglesias on drums and adopted the name Isósceles. As both their sound and concept evolved they abandoned their previous style to focus on what has since come to be known as "revival" (here in Spain). Now calling themselves Magic Noise, the next member to join was Javi Abalo on lead guitar, giving the songs greater solidity live and contributing some really inspirational arrangements in the studio.
2005 saw a move to Barcelona and the final name change, recording the promotional CD-R, CatPeople!, leading to them being signed by independent Spanish label Pupilo Records and the management and booking agency College Artists. In May 2006 they released their debut LP Reel #1 (Pupilo Records/Popstock!). Impacting heavily on the Spanish independent scene it has recieved accolades galore for the quality of both songs and production. This is followed by a 20 date tour of Spain and Portugal and a support slot with Pet Shop Boys in front of 20,000 people in their home town of Vigo.
While Adrián and Fito remain largely responsible for songwriting the latter has chosen not to form a part of the live line-up, focusing instead on musical composition and studio work. As such Iván Fernández has been recruited on bass, bringing a robust elegance to the live shows. Last but by no means least, Raúl Muñoz, joins as “guest member” playing both keyboards and guitars with an enviable ability, allowing Adrián to concentrate on a better vocal interpretation.
Based in Barcelona, Spain, CatPeople continue to rehearse, write and record new material as well as playing live shows in diverse locations around Spain and elsewhere in Europe (shows in Berlin and Prague coming soon).
Reel #1 is released by Pupilo Records and distributed in Spain, Portugal and Andorra by Popstock! Available from your local CD store throughout the above territories, mail order by email from: info[at]pupilorecords[dot]com And, of course, right here at CD Baby.