Adam Gussow and Alan Gross, a.k.a. The Blues Doctors, are Mississippi-based blues veterans who play a mix of Delta standards and urban grooves from the Texas-to-Chicago axis with some New Orleans funk thrown in. They're a two-man band with a full-on sound: Gussow on harmonica and drumset, Gross on guitar, with both men sharing vocal duties.
Roosters Happy Hour is their debut recording as a duo. It includes blues standards such as "Next Time You See Me," "Rock Me," "Pride and Joy," and "Sweet Home Chicago," jazz and R&B favorites such as Stanley Turrentine's "Sugar" and the Crusaders's "Put It Where You Want It," and a handful of originals by Gussow, including a funky chromatic harp workout, "Staten Island Hurricane Blues," and the Hooker-style boogie, "I Need Your Love."
Named for the steady Friday gig at Rooster's Blues House in Oxford, Mississippi where Gussow and Gross hammered our their dynamic two-man sound, Roosters Happy Hour will please traditionalists and adventurous blues fans alike. The Blues Doctors are a power blues trio without the bass, driven by Gussow's thumping kickdrum; they're a hard-swinging jump combo distilled to the bare essentials, propelled by Gross's jangling guitar and Gussow's dazzling harp lines. Roosters Happy Hour is down-home blues with a big-city angle of attack.
Marking Gross's debut as a recording artist, Roosters Happy Hour also continues Gussow's transformation from a harmonica virtuoso into a one-man rhythm machine. Those who remember the early 1990s recordings of Satan and Adam will enjoy the Blues Doctors's remakes of Watermelon Man and Don't Get Around Much Anymore, this time with Gussow in the percussion chair.
Roosters Happy Hour is a joyous, funky, deep-dish feast. It's two seasoned veterans having a great time with the blues.
For a PREVIEW of the album, please hit the word "PREVIEW" on the upper right side of this page. (It takes up to 15 seconds to load and give you more than 5 minutes of music.)
NOTE: This album comes as a zip file containing 13 WAV-file tracks plus a PDF version of the liner notes. Please remove the PDF file before transferring the WAVs to iTunes or another music player.
track time harp key
1) Put It Where You Want It (Joseph Sample, BMI) 5:04 F
2) Next Time You See Me (Forest & Harvey, BMI) 4:02 Eb
3) I Need Your Love (Adam Gussow, BMI) 3:25 C
4) Rock Me (McKinley Morganfield, BMI) 5:28 A
5) Staten Island Hurricane Blues (A. Gussow, BMI) 3:18 C (chrom, 3rd pos)
6) Sugar (Stanley Turrentine, BMI) 4:33 Bb (3rd pos)
7) Pride and Joy (Stevie Ray Vaughan, ASCAP) 3:58 Ab
8) Watermelon Man (Herbie Hancock, BMI) 4:42 Bb
9) Dont Get Around Much Anymore* 2:11 Bb
10) Sweet Home Chicago (Robert Johnson) 3:53 C (chrom, 3rd pos)
11) Southern Jump (Adam Gussow, BMI) 4:32 A
12) Trouble in Mind (R.M. Jones, ASCAP) 4:32 A
13) Sidewalk Revival (Adam Gussow, BMI) 2:27 A
Another Modern Blues Harmonica production