MP3 Barb and Tom Webber - Only Way Home
Barb and Tom come from a folk perspective but, on this recording, are not shy about venturing forth into soft rock, bluegrass, gospel, jazz, old country, or dancing on the fringe of Celtic influences.
13 MP3 Songs
FOLK: Folk-Rock, COUNTRY: Americana
Veteran singer/songwriters on the Milwaukee music scene for 18 years, Tom & Barb Webber were winners of a Wisconsin Area Music Industry (WAMI): Best Folk Artist 2003 and a WAMI CD Roulette contest. The music performed by Barb and Tom Webber as a duo or with their band, Fair Webber, is best described Americana / Roots music. Barb, the consummate storyteller, writes the lyrics and melody while Tom arranges them instrumentally. Tom’s voice carries the rumble of the Texas Panhandle and Barb’s the clarity of pure sunlight. The contrast is stunning and captivating.
Their new CD, Only Way Home, represents Barb and Tom’s quest to stretch and mature musically. They worked with the highly respected Nashville producer, Tim Lorsch of Bull Creek productions. Mr. Lorsch assembled some of Nashville’s finest, including the likes of award winning bluegrass musician, Tim May (Patty Loveless, Charlie Daniels), bassist Ron de la Vega (Nanci Griffith, Eddie Van Halen), percussionist Mickey Grimm (Swan Dive, Ricky Van Shelton, Over the Rhine), keyboardist Dennis Wage (Faith Hill, Delbert McClinton), and guitarist Dave Francis (Maura O’Connell, Hal Ketchum, Tom Paxton). The resulting arrangements are instrumentally more complex and sometimes grittier than their previous CDs without falling into the pitfall of overproduction. Previous fans will find this CD full of familiar uplifting and lyrically rich songs, colored vividly with their souring harmonies and a mix of styles, including energetic contemporary folk songs, country ballads, roots rock, jazz and bluegrass.
All Music Guide, rated 4 out of 5 stars
"There is a kind of warmth in this sound that''s immediate and front room more than back porch. There is a deepening and widening embrace of the various strains of American folk, country, and, in a sense, music from a previous century, all while remaining contemporary. Only Way Home is the true next step for this pair and their band as they stretch out musically and Barb Webber does so lyrically.”
Only Way Home: Song Descriptions
1. Cockeyed Grin: Reminiscent of Bob Seeger’s roots rock.
2. Lily Marlene: Celtic inspired, toe-tapping tune about a northern Wisconsin legend.
3. Celebrate You: Ethereal call of encouragement which pulses with lush layers of ethnicity
4. Still the Night: Caribbean-style take on a BoDeans classic.
5. Two Rights Make a Wrong: Tongue-in-cheek musical banter about a relationship on the downswing.
6. Peace Will Reign: A poignant call for peaceful dialogue in a polarized world.
7. Busy Day: A gospel-tinged lament about world events as seen on the evening news.
8. Ruby Shoes: Sprightly folk tune that draws upon the imagery of Wizard of Oz.
9. Queen Anne’s Lace: Country love ballad. Pining for one’s Love in rural Wisconsin.
10. Skeleton’s in the Closet: An eerie ballad building to a frenzy around a family secret.
11. Smoking Joe: Fast and fun bluegrass song about a young picker who earned his nickname.
12. Blizzard: A cozy winter love ballad.
13. Back Up: He-done-me-wrong jazz tune mixing double entendre with computer jargon.
People who are interested in Kathy Mattea Buddy & Julie Miller The Kennedys should consider this download.