MP3 Stephen Jones & The 2140 Band - Lesson In Dreaming
"...imagine if the music of Paul Simon and John Mayer spawned a love child that was then raised in the church...it''s kinda like that..."
10 MP3 Songs
FOLK: Folk Pop, GOSPEL: Contemporary Gospel
Have you ever heard of Stephen Jones??
Unless you are a member of his extended family, you live in an area where people don''t know the meaning of sweet tea (i.e. Up north/WV), or you recently brought your child who is under the weather in for a doctor''s visit,then I must say that you have probably never heard of Stephen Jones.
So...here is the short version...
(note: for long version you can call Jones''s mother who is very proud of all his accomplishments)
After leading worship for the past 4 years in Huntington, WV at First Presbyterian Church''s evening worship gathering, The Crossing, Stephen Jones and the 2140 Band have released their first album, "Lesson in Dreaming."
Recorded by Jeff Bosley of Mountain Stage at the Jomie Jazz Studio at Marshall University, the album proves to be a terrific effort in musical creativity on the part of Jones and the band. The songs are a collection of stories about life and God''s love that knows no bounds. For those of you wondering what Jones''s music sounds like, just imagine what it would sound like if the music of John Mayer and Paul Simon spawned a love child that was then raised in the church!! ...his music is kinda like that.
Stephen Jones is a recent graduate of the Marshall University School of Medicine who has recently begun his residency in pediatrics in Greenville, SC.
The 2140 Band is: Matt Carter--acoustic and electric guitars/backing vocals, Amy Carter-backing vocals, Mike Ellis-drums/percussion and harmonica, David Groves-bass guitar, Dale Capehart-flute, saxophone, and recorder, and Ryan Lucki-electric guitar.
The only bad thing about moving down south is that Jones had to leave the 2140 Band back home in WV. However as a singer-songwriter, Jones is looking forward to playing solo acoustic performances in coffee shops, bookstores, churches, and other small acoustic music venues. Hope to see you there!!!
The following are brief explanations of the inspiration for each song on the album, "Lesson in Dreaming." Hope you enjoy!
1. "Understanding to the Simple"-Psalm 119:130-133. So many times in life we are searching for direction and understanding. How blessed we are to have a God who gives understanding to the simple-minded.
2. "All of my Love"-A song, written in the living room of 2140 11th Avenue, that tells about the true and real love of God that showers down on us all.
3. "Lesson in Dreaming"-Sometimes we need to open our minds and try to see things as they could be. Are we big enough to put aside ourselves and dream the dreams God has for us?
4. "Home" -Each of us has a longing to belong, a longing for the security of the familiar. For so many of us that security is found at home, wherever home is. How much more security will we find in our heavenly home!!
5. "Live Again" -Ezekiel 37. This is the story of a man, broken by the world, who is learning to come to terms with who God really is and to allow God to bring him back to life. We all have to learn how to live again.
6. "Juanita" -Diseases of the mind are often times much more debilitating than those of the body. The continual battle between good and evil ran rampant in Juanita''s mind. How blessed we are to have a God that can rescue us in our times of need.
7. "Here Along the Way" -This is a love song written by Jones for his wife. Isn''t it amazing how two people from two different worlds can be brought together to share in a love that comes from above.
8. "Matter of Perspective" -A song inspired by a message in which the speaker shared an illustration of a person standing atop a mountain looking down at a specific point. Atop a mountain, we can see all sorts of other things out of our peripheral vision. As we move closer to the point we are focusing on, more of the peripheral "distractions" slip from view. That is like our walk with God-the closer we get to him, the more we see of Him and less we see of the world.
9. "When I Fall Back" --Can a man unfold the mystery of a love that will save us all? I have found this to be true.
10. "Pictures of Stillness" -Psalm 46:10--"Be still and know that I am God." It is usually best for us to sit and wait in silence, allowing God to show us his plans.