MP3 KarismaKatz - Spirit On The Rise
This file is no longer available on Tradebit.
14 MP3 Songs in this album (66:15) !
Related styles: BLUES: Jazzy Blues, FOLK: Folk Blues
People who are interested in Maria Muldaur should consider this download.
ABOUT 'SPIRIT ON THE RISE'
âThis album is something specialâ¦ superb performancesâ¦ lyrically powerful and thought provokingâ¦ a strong message of getting on with life through adversityâ¦ the spirit and adaptability of love shine through beautifullyâ¦â Phil Birch-Marston (Artsound FM)
This is the first KarismaKatz album. It is a selection of 14 songs picked out of the song-writing suitcases of DJ Gosper, Christo Carlsen and Lynnie Gosper, at last making their way onto disc. 10 of the songs are penned by DJ and provide an insight into her life over the past 20 years.
The recording of âSpirit on the Riseâ took place between April 2007 and July 2008. During this time DJ was recovering from major surgery and debilitating treatment for breast cancer. And her mother was diagnosed with cancer in June 2007. DJ and her family cared for her at home until she left this world in January 2008.
2 songs are from Christoâs collection, one written on the back of a beer coaster over 30 years ago! Another 2 from Lynnie Gosperâs (also a cancer survivor) vast collection.
The DJ/Christo connection has resulted in many of DJâs songs finally being realised, as Christo has understood the emotion fuelling the lyrics. Many of the songs have depressing themes, but it is far from a depressing album.
DJ sings, plays blues-harps, a little bit of chromatic harmonica and bass harmonica (polyphonia).
Christo sings and plays acoustic guitar, 12 string guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar.
DJâs comments about each of the songs:
1. Spirit on the Rise â Written in 1996 after a relationship breakup and in the midst of depression.
2. Cool Me â Written in 1981 when I was 17. It was the last day of school holidays. These were my thoughts on how I would cope with going back to boarding school.
3. Under the Covers â Written in 2002. Iâm embarrassed by the trite lyrics in this song, except for the hook which my husband came up with. Audiences love this one when we play it live, and I love itâs rootsy feel, hence its inclusion on the album.
https://www.tradebit.comt For A Moment â Written by Christo, beautiful, fragile, vulnerable. According to Christo this one was sitting there in the dark, brooding silence just waiting to be given voice. 'Cause people do make promises, and people do tell lies, sometimes with the best of intentions.
5. Forty Winks â Written in 2000. I was imagining my soul personality travelling wherever it wanted, even through time, and how lovely it would be to connect with my soul mate in another life.
6. Silk Quilted Ladies â One of my sisterâs little gems. Lyrics written in 1983, melody in 1986. Thereâs plenty of room in this slim-obsessed world for the curvy. No-one should feel sorry for taking up space.
7. Weekend People â Christo describes this as a bourbon and gunga fuelled paean to the more pretentious and predictable denizens of that most legendary of Canberra watering holes, the immortal Boot & Flogger. Written in 1977 on the remains of a soggy beer-mat, 'Weekend People' is a song about wannabes. I wonder sometimes what we've all become in the intervening decades â doctors, gardeners, lawyers and sandwich-hands I expect; butchers, bakers and thieves; not to mention a smattering of some particularly fine musicians.
8. Animal (Take Me Home) â Written in 1995. Looking back at an insecure, lonely period in my life â I was losing the plot and didnât feel safe.
9. 3 Lousy Beers â Written in 1993. An uncharacteristically self-indulgent piece â beyond anger.
10. Burn Baby Burn - Written in 2006. I had a breakdown in early 2006 â this song is about what it felt like just before I lost the plot.
11. Shiny â Written in 2008 to acknowledge and give people an insight into, my darling Mumâs character.
12. My Mother Was Right â Written in 2007. I received beautiful and overwhelming support, love and care following my cancer diagnosis and throughout my treatment. That kind of outpouring of love is normally reserved for funerals. How lucky I am to have experienced that in my lifetime? Flowers, cards, gifts, thoughts, prayers and healings flowed in. Lying in my sick bed, the love from so many people was almost tangible. My mother was right - people are kind.
13. Tell And Show â Written in 2007. Many people said that I should write a song about my breast cancer experience, and at the time, I was still in battle mode and thought that while I was very appreciative of all the support I received, there was no way I was going to write a song about what I was going through. By the end of the song-writing process I had mellowed a littleâ¦
14. Good Enough For Ya â Written in 1986. One of many from my sisterâs delightful collection. Some people have a lot to offer but itâs not always wanted.
ABOUT THE KARISMAKATZ
Originally a 4-5 piece band, it is the Gosper/Carlsen collaboration that has resulted in accolades for the duoâs superb synchronicity and crowd-pleasing commitment to their songs.
Singer/songwriter, harmonica player, breast cancer survivor âperforms with a passion that knows no tomorrowâ (Bill Arnett, The Folkus Room, Australia).
DJ Gosper, Winner Canberra Blues Society 2007 Music Awards: Best Vocalist, Best Instrumentalist, Best Song (Burn Baby Burn, co-written with Christo Carlsen).
âDJ Gosper showed us that as well as being a great blues singer, she is one of the hottest harp players around.â (Bill Melano, Canberra Blues Society)
Christo, with his wide experience in the folk, blues, rock and trad jazz idioms, provides a stylish and often surprising acoustic guitar accompaniment to DJ's evocative vocal performance.
Together they are an original acoustic anomalyâequal parts blues, jazz and roots, with an irresistible art-house appeal.
in partnership with CDbaby
More Files From This User
- MP3 El Puma De Sinaloa - Me invito la noche
- MP3 Harmonik - Lets Go!
- MP3 Haymaker - In For A Pound
- MP3 Hans Engel - Wunderwelten
- MP3 Hillfolk Noir - Skinny Mammys Revenge
Mp3 George Braith - Bop Rock Blues
Mp3 Karen Drucker - Hold On To Love
Mp3 Shayne Bradley - Don't Explain
Mp3 Mark Adorni - Deja Vu
Mp3 Brent Mason - Smokin' Section
Mp3 Doug Duffey - The Solo Sessions 1988-1992 Volume 2: Cabaret Vieux Carre
Mp3 Big Belly Blues Band - Blues: Jazzy Blues
Mp3 Anna Goldsmith - Let It Rain