MP3 Michal the Girl - Strung Out
Powerful female vocals and edgy songwriting partnered with heavily layered cellos and the occasional live drum loop.
8 MP3 Songs
POP: British Pop, POP: Quirky
Michal the Girl is a five foot nothing cupie doll with attitude, who packs a powerful voice in her tiny frame strong enough to blow your hair backwards. Whether you''re listening to her 1st CD (Tongue Tied") or her new one ("Strung Out"), don''t let that sugary voice fool you. This girl''s got bite!
Michal the Girl''s first release, "Tongue Tied" (2001), was a sassy alterna-pop CD with catchy melodies, crunchy guitars and a wee bit of anger for good measure. In her new (upcoming) release, "Strung Out", Michal the Girl has made quite a departure from her 1st CD creating a completely new and unique sound. She traded in her crunchy guitars for heavily layered cello, and transformed some anger issues into edgy, eerie melancholy. It''s like if Richard Ashcroft, Bjork and Aimee Mann produced a love child together.
When asked why she went in such a different direction for her 2nd CD, Michal the Girl responded, "It wasn''t really a planned thing. Ya know? When I had 2 rock bands on the go, I started playing some acoustic shows just to switch things up and I asked my friend Ken (Hashimoto) if he would play cello with me. So, we did that for, like, a year or something and then people started asking me if we had a CD they could buy. So, I decided to put one together. As it all started coming together I realized that this (recording) could sound really amazing, so I stuck with it, and now I think these songs would be perfect for soundtracks."
And Michal the Girl should know. In 2004, she had two songs in the critically acclaimed film "Travellers and Magicians", one of which she wrote specifically for the movie. She also had a co-written song in a commercial for CanCam Magazine, Japan''s #1 women''s fashion magazine, for which she was also flown to Tokyo to appear IN the commercial.
Michal the Girl is also featured on many dance music tracks released over in Europe. Most notably, she was the featured vocalist on ATB''s "The Autumn Leaves" from his #1 album "No Silence". She was also the featured vocalist on Niels Van Gogh''s "One Way Out" which reached #5 on the German dance chart and also appeared in over 30 compilations across Europe. "Bombs Away", another NVG song featuring MTG entered the charts in April 2005 at #5 with a bullet! Other notable releases featuring Michal the Girl on vocals are: "Cool Your Engines" by Kareema, "As We Run" by Kodiak Star (available on iTunes), "Sense of Time" by Koris vs. Djule (#20 with a bullet -5/3/05- on the Holland Dance Chart).
Another credit under MTG''s belt is her 3 1/2 year honor of being a vocalist at the prestigious Loser''s Lounge tributes. This past year she was also invited to sing at Cathy Cervenka''s Cathyland Productions'' Madonnathon, Love Bites, and Sham*Rock (U2) tributes.
"STRUNG OUT" - July Summer 2005
"TONGUE TIED" - August 2001
- On most digital downloads sites (iTunes, Rhapsody, mp3tunes, etc...)
- #4 on the WDTS (Georgetown, DE) radio chart (2004).
- Live interview on WDVR (Sergentsville, NJ) (2004)
- Medium-Heavy Rotation on: WDTS (Georgetown, DE), WVUD (Newark, DE), WAER (Syracuse, NY), WARY (Valhalla, NY), WFWM (Frostburg, MD), CKUT (Montreal, PQ), CIBL (Montreal, PQ), WFMU (Hoboken, NJ), WRSU (New Brunswick, NJ), WDVR (Sergentsville, NJ).
- Light Rotation on: WRKC (Wilkes Barre, PA), WCLH (Wilkes Barre, PA), WVIA (Pittston, PA), WXVU (Villanova, PA), WLFR (Pomona, NJ), WNTI (Hackettstown, NJ), WTSR (Ewing, NJ), WCDB (Albany, NY), WJFF (Jeffersonville, NY), WKDT (West Point, NY), WSIA (Staten Island, NY), CKCU (Ottawa, ON), WESU (Middleton, CT), WHUS (Storrs, CT), WPKN (Bridgeport, CT), WERS (Boston, MA), WMFO (Medford, MA), WHFC (Bel Air, MD), WMPG (Portland, ME), WITR (Rochester, NY), WRPI (Troy, NY), WNHU (W. Haven, CT), WWUH (West Hartford, CT), WTCC (Springfield, MA), WERU (E. Orland, ME), WRCT (Pittsburgh, PA), and WGDR (Plainfield, VT).