MP3 The Knights - Jyck Monkey Time
This file is no longer available on Tradebit.
16 MP3 Songs in this album (72:44) !
Related styles: ROCK: 70's Rock, ROCK: 60's Rock
People who are interested in Ritchie Blackmore Cheech & Chong Eddie Van Halen should consider this download.
Jyck Monkey Time (Lance 2004)
The Knights' Vocals during the '80s and early '90s
Dick Stewart was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1940 and grew up near a small Hispanic community in the cityâs Northwest Valley called Los Griegos. There, Spanish was spoken almost as often as English and many of the Hispanic residents communicated with each other in a mix of words or expressions from both dialects. The Hispanic youth did the same thing, but in a manner that the adults couldnât understand. All generations of young people manufacture a lingo that they consider hip and call their own, but when more than one language is used, the more secretive it can be. Although Stewart is Anglo, he learned the English/Spanish code-switching slang well simply because most of his buddies were kids of first-generation Mexican-American families. Many of the songs in this album reflect that time of his life.
In the early 1960âs, garage instrumental guitar rock and roll was in full swing with The Fireballs and The Ventures leading the pack and Stewart was smitten with this new expression. In 1961, together with his best friend in high school, Gary Butler, they formed The Knights. At first, most of the bandâs playlist consisted of covers from the two aforementioned groups, but soon thereafter, Stewart began to compose his own guitar instrumentals. His first, âPrecision,â was released in early 1964 and became an instant hit regionally. Dot Records took notice and made a pledge to release it nationally, but quickly changed its mind when The Beatles came to the U.S. in Feb 1964.
With the exception of Stewart, the rest of the band members moved on and The Knights became a vocal group. He replaced the drummer and rhythm guitarist, added a saxophonist and keyboardist, then changed the bandâs name to a more acceptable one for the times: King Richard and The Knights. In January 1968, the band disbanded, but Stewart changed genre gears, promoting Mexican-American music via his new label, Casanova Records. He also continued as a guitar instrumental artist and hit with a version of âEl Rancho Grandeâ in the Hispanic market.
In November of 1979, Stewart, his wife, Judi, and their three children (Shelbi, Ritch and Jason) moved to a mountain community just east of Albuquerque. Soon thereafter, Stewart began to write and record songs about the diverse personalities and partying habits of many in the mountain community who enjoyed playing softball, volley ball, and even Trivia around a camp fire during the nighttime hours. In addition, the two most popular local taverns, The Windmill and Mollyâs, were their choices of frequent, continued celebrations. The songs in this album are a history of those âjyckyâ times on the east side of the Sandia and Manzano Mtns from 1984 through 1993 when The Knights were known as either The Mtn Riff-Raff or Jyck Monkey Band; and the invention of the word âJyckâ (pronounced âjickâ) became a key term widely used by those who just wanted to enjoy life to its fullest:
1. "El Chuco Blanco" â Dick sings about his membership in a Pachuco gang in the â50s when he attended Valley High School in Albuquerque.(Here are some of the Pachuco slang words and their translations that are used in this tune: "ranfla" - jalopy, "calcos" - shoes, "guisa" - chick, "guero" - light skinned, "llantas" - tires, "lisa" - shirt, "tramos" - pants.) 2. "Jyck Monkey Time" â Coach Dick âThe Jyckâ sings about his mostly biker softball team, The Jyck Monkeys. The animal sounds are not soundbites. The team's second baseman, Steve Loshier, who made the sounds during each game to confuse the other team, was asked to provide his talent for this track. 3. "Madroid Queen" - Magoon sings about a frequent visitor to the Mine Shaft Tavern in Madrid, NM, looking for the girl of his dreams. The Knights played there often during the '80s and early '90s and the visitor was well known to the community. 4. "Riff-Raff Rider" - Magoon sings about the Jyck Monkey bikers, who were considered the radical bunch of the Mtn Riff-Raff. 5. "Middle Aged Rock-and-Roll Musician" â Dick sings about his guitar jamming days at various mtn jyck parties, from which his wife, Judi, had to drag him away from time to time for overdoing it. 6. "Weâre Gonna Get Jycked Up" â vocal by Dick thatâs self-explanatory. 7. "Hereâs to Jyck Monkey" â A Jyck Monkey team gathering at the Windmill. All the first names mentioned in this song are members of the team. 8. "Lobo Power" - Magoon provides the vocals and Jason offers the splendid guitar work for this unauthorized University of New Mexico fight song. Many of the UNM students wanted the higher-ups to play it during the games, but it didn't happen. 9. "Henry T. Time" - Theme song written and arranged by Dick and Jason in 1993 for KDEF radioâs Henry Tafoya sport show. Dick sings lead, Jason provides the guitar work and keys, and Dick, Jason, and Judi do the backup vocals. It became a hit on the station and is still employed by Henry to this day. 10. "Hangover Blues" â Dick sings about an exaggerated hangover he experienced in an accent he used when he was a teen in the '50s, living in an Hispanic community. (Some of the Spanish slang translations used in this song are as follows: "You soy un pobre Gabacho" - I'm a down-on-his-luck Gringo, "Sufro la cruda" - I'm suffering from a hangover, "Andaba en la peda" - I got drunk. 11. "Candelaria" â Dick sings about a friend who could survive exceptionally well in the woods eating bugs and plants. (Translation of Spanish used in the last verse of this song: "Viva la igualdad de los animales y los hombres. Recuerda que en el todo mundo, somos compadres" - Long live the equality of man and animals. We are friends worldwide., "No me digas" - Don't tell me. 12. Utopia Heights - Dick sings about a compadre (friend) whoâs hooked on heroin and is determined to score with one of his dealers at a bar. Judi provides the phone voice. 13. I Donât Mind â A beautiful ballad written and sung by Judi, with guitar, keys and arrangement provided by Jason. 14. "Cowboys Still A Cominâ" â With vocals, guitar work, and arrangement by Jason and opening rap by Dick, there were a lot of Cowboys fans in the mtn community. The inspiration for the words came from the "52 to 17" drubbing the Cowboys gave the Bills in the team's Super Bowl win in the early '90s. 15. "Weâre the Mtn Riff-Raff" â Sung by Magoon with guitar work by Jason, it was the general attitude and swagger of the members of the Mtn Riff-Raffâs softball team. The Jyck Monkey softball team originally were members of the Riff-Raff, but were deemed less talented and too radical, getting little playtime. 16. "Watching Moonbeams Dance through the Night" â Sung by Dick, who provided the lead guitar work. This is The Knights' instrumental "Moonbeam" with words.
Players: Dick Stewart â rhythm, bass, early â60s-style guitar work, vocals; Ritch Stewart â bass, vocals; Jason Stewart â modern guitar work, keys, bass; Jim Magoon â vocals; Martin Howard â â70s-lead guitar scores; William (Corky) Anderson â drums; Gary Warner â tenor sax; Jeff Johnson â organ (#16); Sonny Rivera â guitar (#10); Judi Stewart â lead vocal (#13).
Credits: engineers - John Wagner, Jason Stewart; arrangers â the Stewarts; publishing â Cool Links Publishing BMI; principal composers â Dick Stewart and Judi Stewart for #13; All rights reserved.
A review by Beverly Paterson â The Lance Monthly; Twist and Shake
Established in 1961, The Knights went onto become the hottest instrumental combo in and around their hometown of Albuquerque, New Mexico. In 1964, the band scored a massive regional hit single with âPrecision,â which artfully blended classical music figures with traditional rocking surf guitars. Dot Records was prepared to launch The Knights into the major leagues, but the timing was bad as The British Invasion suddenly happened, and therefore, surf bands were looked upon as yesterdayâs news. Throughout the ensuing decades, The Knights have been together on and off, meeting with personnel changes here and there along the way. But lead guitarist Dick Stewart, who also owns and operates the legendary Lance Records, has been a constant presence amid it all. âJyck Monkey Timeâ entails material the group laid down between the years 1984 and 1993, when they were billed as either The Mountain Riff Raff Band or The Jyck Monkey Band. Covering nearly every single kind of music conceivable, the disc is immensely entertaining. Humor abounds on songs like the cheesy country blues flavorings of âHangover Bluesâ and âMiddle Aged Rock And Roll Musician,â a pure pop tenor caps the positively beautiful âI Donât Mind,â which features Dickâs wife Judi on lead vocals, the specter of The Cars and Devo haunts the wiggly new wave nuances of âMadroid Queenâ and âMoonbeams Dance Through The Nightâ steps in as a ravishing ballad, steeped in a silky throated and coated vein. Borrowing the harmonic doo-wop introduction of âAt The Hopâ by Danny and The Juniors, then morphing into a crazy and sloppy slice of speedy rock and roll, âWeâre Gonna Get Jycked Upâ is a stone cold charmer. Courtesy of Dickâs son Jason, âLobo Powerâ and âRiff Raff Riderâ scream and squeal with shredding heavy metal guitar atomics rivaling the razzle dazzle of Ritchie Blackmore and Eddie Van Halen. So there you have it, a diverse array of audio escapades that are festive, passionate and silly. And thatâs exactly how rock and roll is supposed to be.
in partnership with CDbaby
More Files From This User
- MP3 El Puma De Sinaloa - Me invito la noche
- MP3 Harmonik - Lets Go!
- MP3 Haymaker - In For A Pound
- MP3 Hans Engel - Wunderwelten
- MP3 Hillfolk Noir - Skinny Mammys Revenge
Hold Me - Single (mp3 Album)
Wasted (mp3 Album)
I Will Not Fold (mp3 Album)
New Age Healing Music For Chillout. Relaxation. Meditation. Yoga. Tai Chi. Reiki. Deep Massage. Spa. Zen. Spiritual Rituals. (mp3 Album)
Mp3 Walkine - Back To Love
Pinch Myself (mp3 Album)
Let It Wave (mp3 Album)
Mp3 Hydra Productions - Dust Off And Dance - The Remixes Feat. Tiffany
Tradebit is the worlds largest marketplace for digital files, with over 2.5 million satisfied customers and millions of digital products. Online for over 12 years, Tradebit is the best place to find files like music, video tutorials, repair manuals, and more. If you're curious about how much our users love Tradebit, read reviews from real buyers!