MP3 Lisa B (Lisa Bernstein) - The Poetry Of Groove
This file is no longer available on Tradebit.
10 MP3 Songs in this album (47:15) !
Related styles: HIP-HOP/RAP: Alternative Hip Hop, SPOKEN WORD: Poetry
People who are interested in Joni Mitchell Miles Davis Jill Scott should consider this download.
On THE POETRY OF GROOVE, Lisa B weaves playful, poetic rap & sultry choruses over jazzy hip-hop & electronica grooves.
Start by imagining Joni Mitchell + Jill Scott + the Verve Remix series. Then listen for yourself.
Her spoken word draws you in with crystal-clear imagery, storytelling, and a voice that seems to speak directly to you. And she can sing. âHer voice is a lovely instrument, her timbre warm, her phrasing fluid... an emotional range that makes lyrics sound like truth,â writes critic Ted Panken.
Fun, insightful, & intimate, Lisa B will inspire you to dance, chill, listen âand find your very own poetry of groove.
Raised in New York and Northern California, Lisa B (Lisa Bernstein) was influenced by lots of literature and music as she grew up, including such friends of her parents as saxophone master Jackie McLean and the members of the Art Ensemble of Chicago. She was inspired by jazz, soul, pop, rock, and show tunes. She studied classical piano from elementary school to high school and wrote songs and stories. She also wrote and studied poetry seriously since her teens, going on to earn bachelorâs and masterâs degrees in creative writing at UC Santa Cruz and San Francisco State University, respectively.
Two books of her poetry have been published, the chapbook Anorexia (Five Fingers Poetry) and The Transparent Body (Wesleyan University Press). Her poems have appeared in more than 50 literary magazines and anthologies. She has received grants and residencies from the National Endowment for the Arts, Headlands Center for the Arts, Ucross Foundation, Barbara Deming Memorial Fund/Money for Women, and Puffin Foundation.
Lisa Bâs many public poetry readings in the San Francisco Bay Area evolved into performances. One was a two-night, sold-out piece at the leading experimental theatre The Lab that included dancers and live music. Lisa B then began to focus on songwriting, singing, and music, studying first at the Blue Bear School of Music, then with renowned Bay Area vocal coach Jane Sharp. Lisa was soon gigging frequently, performing jazz and selected pop standards along with her own compositions. She has since performed at more than 80 clubs, performance spaces, colleges, bookstores, and radio stations in the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, and New York.
While often composing lyrics and music on her own, Lisa B enjoys co-writing with musicians, including singer-pianist Barbara Higbie (Windham Hill, womenâs music); Latin jazz trombonist-arranger Wayne Wallace (Patois Records); and her longtime cowriter/producer/engineer, composer Jim Gardiner (Pharoah Sanders, Rickie Lee Jones, David Grisman, Seattle Symphony, and numerous Bay Area rap and soul artists).
Lisa B also applies her spirit of inventive collaboration to existing compositions. One example is Lisa Bâs heartrending poem âTraneâs Rideâ performed with Coltraneâs âNaima.â Another is her merging of Cole Porterâs âNight and Dayâ with Lisa's magical poetic rap âThe Cat Goddess.â Her second full-length CD CENTER OF THE RHYME contains two such transformations: Lisaâs poetic homage âJoe Williams Died Walkingâ performed with âEvery Day I Have the Bluesâ and Bobby Caldwellâs âWhat You Wonât Do for Loveâ with new poetic rap.
On Lisa Bâs three previous well-received CDs (1999, 2003, and 2006), she was a pioneer in merging spoken word and singing within her originals and re-envisioned covers, spanning swing, Latin, smooth hip-hop, and soulful pop.
Now with THE POETRY OF GROOVE, Lisa B leaps from this foundation into her true flight path â an entire set giving listeners Lisaâs uniquely seductive poetic rap and hooky choruses over jazzy hip-hop & electronica grooves. The CD includes 5 tracks of new material in various mixes, plus 5 tracks of remixed/ remastered spoken-word groove tunes from her past 3 CDs.
The 1999 FREE ME FOR THE JOY is Lisa Bâs first full-length release, on her own Piece of Pie Records. Mostly originals, it includes such stellar players as John Santos (Machete) and Curtis Ohlson (Ray Charlesâ band).
- Jonathan Widran wrote about it in Jazziz: âNo doubt the smooth-jazz and adult-contemporary success of the likes of Sade, Anita Baker, and Marilyn Scott inspired Lisa Bernstein to give things a shot with a dramatic, drawn-out, emotional voice that is a dead ringer for that of Dianne Reeves. Reeves and the others, however, focus on their pipes and leave the songwriting to either classic songwriters or to todayâs best tunesmiths, whereas, Bernstein writes her own material.â
- Paula Edelstein wrote on https://www.tradebit.com: âAward-winning singer-songwriter-poet Lisa B blends experimental poetry, pop, soul and jazz on her first full-length recording.â
(FREE ME FOR THE JOY was added to the playlists of more than 85 commercial and noncommercial radio stations across the country in 1999-2000, including charting and heavy rotation, in jazz, smooth jazz, college, triple A, womenâs, new age, and other formats.)
CENTER OF THE RHYME (2003), jazzier and more acoustic, revealed an evolved singing voice. Many of the Bay Areaâs best jazz players appear, including Frank Martin (keyboards), Mimi Fox and Dave Yamasaki (guitar), Bill Douglass and Chris Amberger (bass), Paul van Wageningen (drums), Michael Spiro (percussion), and Daria (vocals).
- The Philadelphia Daily News wrote about it: âDaring, dexterous singer/songwriter/poet... imaginative originals with appeal to both traditional and contemporary jazz tastes and even, on occasion, hip-hop hipsters.â
- Jazz Times wrote: ââ¦reveals a singer, spoken-word artist and poet with an incisive way of chronicling situations, memories and emotions. She sings with a pliable, expressive voice dipped in blue... B intercuts her smooth rendition of Bobby Caldwell's âWhat You Won't Do for Loveâ with a rap, and turns saucily suggestive on âKeeps Me Up All Night.âââ¦A spacious musical bed, highlighted by romantic saxophone, swirls around her imagistic vocals on the title track.
(CENTER OF THE RHYME was played on more than 120 jazz and smooth jazz stations and shows throughout the U.S.)
On her third CD, WHAT'S NEW, PUSSYCAT?: TUNES & TALES ABOUT COOL CATS (2006), Lisa B explores the magical contrasts embodied by the cat and personified by humans: wild/cozy, passionate/independent, playful/fierce. The CD combines original compositions with Lisa Bâs refreshing takes on Burt Bacharach/Hal David, Graham Nash, and Cole Porter. She again features some of the Bay Area's best jazz musicians: Frank Martin and Ben Flint (keyboards), Danny Caron (guitar), Chris Amberger, Troy Lampkins, and John Shifflett (bass), Paul van Wageningen and Alan Hall (drums), and John Santos (percussion). Their combined talents takes the listener on a journey that is delightful and deep, cool and hot. This CD also got extensive radio play with charting on jazz and other stations. Critical response:
- âLisa B is a wild ride...let her entertain you...you don't trip over pipes like these everyday.â -Midwest Record Recap
- âThe force is strong with this one... creativity on a level that will soar above many.â - https://www.tradebit.com
- ââ¦sultry and witty and not at all precious. Some songs are overt in their references to their subject (the title track and the singerâs own "Slay Me (My Young Cat)"), some less so ("Youâd Be So Nice to Come Home To"), but she sings all of them in a sensual, throaty voiceâ¦ Her own songs are fun and sexy, and she brings a fresh voice to well-known songs. At first, I was reluctant to take âWhatâs New, Pussycat?â seriously because of its playfulness and overt sexuality. Iâve found that I play it all the time, and like it more with each listenâ¦ Great musicians make âWhatâs New, Pussycat?â come alive and help Lisa B keep the atmosphere fun and swingingâ¦ Fun, impressively played and sung, and, yes, very sexy. â https://www.tradebit.com
in partnership with CDbaby
More Files From This User
- MP3 El Puma De Sinaloa - Me invito la noche
- MP3 Harmonik - Lets Go!
- MP3 Haymaker - In For A Pound
- MP3 Hans Engel - Wunderwelten
- MP3 Hillfolk Noir - Skinny Mammys Revenge
Mp3 Lan-c - Hip Hop/rap: Spiritual Rap
Mp3 T-guda - King Of North Carolina
Mp3 Canto I - Entry Level - Elements
Mp3 M.c. Untytled In Central America - Hip-hop/rap: Alternative Hip Hop
Mp3 Theory 77 - For All It's Worth
Mp3 Le Monster - High
Mp3 Dirt Farmers - Experimental Hip Hop - Ep
Mp3 Blackmindz - Two Shades Deep
Tradebit is the worlds largest marketplace for digital files, with over 2.5 million satisfied customers and millions of digital products. Online for over 12 years, Tradebit is the best place to find files like music, video tutorials, repair manuals, and more. If you're curious about how much our users love Tradebit, read reviews from real buyers!