MP3 Swarmius Presents: Waters Bluestone Duel - Fill the House
Chase away the mall-cliches with virtuosic, genre-defying works for Chinese opera gongs, vibes, timpani, crotales, marimba, tam tam, glockenspiel, etc. and live electronics.
7 MP3 Songs in this album (55:39) !
Related styles: Avant Garde: Electro-Acoustic, Electronic: Soundscapes, Mood: Virtuoso
People who are interested in Frank Zappa Harry Partch John Zorn should consider this download.
1. Flame Head .... a humble tribute to Chango, the Orisha of lightning, thunder, sexual virility and divine retribution ....
2. Air — Pt.1 .... the air of birds, the flight of birds, the ecstasy of gliding, cerulean cloudscapes
3. Earth .... humid, musky, warm, rich, fertile ....
4. Heart .... veins and coursing arteries ....
5. Air — Pt. 2 .... the air of dreams, voices in the wind
6. Fire .... heat, passion, danger,
7. Air — Pt. 3 .... the night sky of Van Gogh - swirling galaxies - immensity
As the Waters_Bluestone_Duel composer Joseph Waters & percussion god Dr. Joel Bluestone perform an ongoing series of works for live electronics and virtuoso percussion. Waters_Bluestone_Duel was created in 2000 to explore new ways for combining live electronics and virtuoso percussion. The idea is to create modern chamber music, with complex instrumental jousting and parallel maneuvers.
The Duel is committed to expanding the avant-garde classical literature to encompass a New Relevance . The New Relevance demands works that are non-elitist, rigorous and multi-level -- works that are simultaneously accessible and challenging. To this end Waters_Bluestone_Duel combines traditional virtuosity with a search for new timbres, performance practices and 21st century cross-cultural aesthetic reflection. The Duel unites performer and composer, focuses them on a common goal, and puts them onstage together. Waters is in residence at the School of Music and Dance of San Diego State University, home of maverick genius composer Harry Partch. The Waters_Bluestone_Duel strives to emulate Partch''s uncompromising aesthetic values.
Waters composes the music and performs the electronics via custom software and GUI that transform his laptop into a musical instrument.
Bluestone powers a percussion battery that calls on a vast collection of instruments, from exotic to backyard, including kettle drums (huge brass war drums first mounted by the Turks on elephants and used for battle), marimba, vibraphone, crotales, glockenspiel, tubular bells, gongs, cymbals, sleigh bells, & dozens of found objects, common & bizarre.
Bluestone whirls inside a circle of percussion, fists full of flying mallets, nailing two or three simultaneously.
• Veneto Jazz Festival — Venice, Italy
• 1st Festival Patagónico de Música Electroacústica — San Martin de los Andes, Argentina
• WEF -- Warsaw Electronic Festival — Warsaw, Poland
• Visiones Sonoras — Festival Internacional de Música Electroacústica y Nuevas Tecnologias — Mexico City
• Theater Kikker — Utrecht, Netherlands
• Bomb The Space Festival — Wellington, New Zealand
• NWEAMO — San Diego, USA
• Radio Beethoven — Santiago, Chile
• Dance Conduit — Portland, Oregon, USA
• Australasian Computer Music Conference — Melbourne, Australia
• Percussive Arts Society International Conference — Nashville, Tenessee
• Society for Electro-Acoustic Music in the United States— San Diego, USA
• International Computer Music Conference — Miami, Florida, USA
• Rosarito Art Center — Rosarito, Mexico
• Australasian Computer Music Conference — Wellington, New Zealand
• American Society of Composers Region IV Conference (Featured Guest Artists) — Winthrop University, South Carolina, USA